AUTOMATIC MP18 hunting carbine is a modern copy of the German WWI M.P.18 (Maschinenpistole 18/1) submachine gun.
The М.Р.18/1 was developed by Hugo Schmeisser in 1917 at that time working for the Theodor Bergmann’s factory. A full-scale production at Theodor Bergmann Waffenfabrik was launched in early 1918. The new weapon was intended for the «Sturmtruppen» special assault groups tasked with infiltration through Allies defenses. MP18 is actually the first mass produced submachine gun used in action.
About 9000 M.P.18’s out of a total of 17677 pieces produced were delivered to front line units by November 18, 1918, when the Great War was over. Due to the Treaty of Versailles restrictions towards the Weimar Republic, М.Р.18/1 was produced in Switzerland under SIG Bergmann 1920 designation.
As well as the original М.Р.18/1, the AUTOMATIC МР18 is an open-bolt blowback design. The receiver is round in shape and a round steel shroud fitted with ventilation ports is attached to the barrel. The safety as a separate part in non-existent — the bolt handle served as a safety by pushing its head into the notch in the receiver body, keeping the bolt in open position.
32–round’s trommel magazine back angled 45° well is located on receiver’s left side, allowing the shooter to stay as low as possible over the cover. The rear sight is flipped between 100m and 200m positions. AUTOMATIC MP18 rifle type forend and stock are made of wood
9 mm (9×19, 9х21)
Blowback, open bolt action, semi
Detachable trommel magazine
Front and rear
20 cm; 1:10”
Country of origin: